SOL is a platform for collective practices that stem from reflections on the notion of Love as a public concern and a political mode of being that should be taught in schools. It was initiated in 2016 by students and teachers from the Autonomous Design department at KASK school of Arts (Ghent, BE), but consists of artists and researchers from different fields. SOL is practiced through regular meetings, events, workshops and performances that engage with the exploration of Love and School as charged with potential for change in society. SOL aims to contribute to the perception of school as more than just a safe incubator that prepares the inexperienced to an existing reality outside of it. We approach school as a place for experiment, reflection and collectivity, that can change society instead of adapting to it. We insist on learning how to deal with the unknown, rather than on learning how to know.
● A SOL assembly takes place every 2 months. These meetings carry the character of a deep hanging out – we get together not in order to know what we want to learn, but in order to create an empty space for the unexpected to happen. Find out about the coming date at the bottom of this page.
● If it happens that an idea for a project emerges during the assemblies, the project is developed separately to the regular meetings.
● Anyone can be a member of SOL, anything can become a project of SOL, and it can take place anywhere, as long as it’s stimulated by the will to re-think the role of School and Love in the creation of caring societies.
● Members of SOL can come and go as they wish. There is no obligation for members to commit to be present in all SOL’s activities.
● Practices of SOL aim at blurring the difference between research and outcome, individual work and collectivity, the personal and the political.
● SOL tries to make every process or research accessible to the broad public.
● SOL and its members are lovers. They care and commit to each other, but do not wish to control what the other does with the love that they give.
● SOL engages with love that dares to bound spirituality and politics together, by putting that which is between us before that which we think belongs to us.
● In SOL there are no teachers. SOLers fall in love with things and ideas and act from this state. SOL is based on the fragility of lovers agreeing to forget who they thought they were before meeting each other.
- September – November 2019, Designing Schools that Love, workshops and presentations in the context of We Love you program @Beursschouwburg.
- May 2019, Free School , Kunstenfestivaldesarts, Brussels (see news)
- March 2019, UNLEARNING LEARNING – LEARNING UNLEARNING, an open conference about a practiced ecology of knowledge, Unlearning Center, BlueFactory Hale Grise, Fribourg (CH) (see news)
- March 2019, Practicing the Future through Voicing, participation in the publication of Choreography as Conditioning [CASC] research project.
- January 2019, SYNTROFI “on privilege”, Women and Children first festival, VOORUIT, Ghent (see news).
- January 2019, Any Change Calls for Resistance, RITCS Winter School, Brussels.
- October 2018, Who counts as an Outsider?, work day with the Open Design Course participants in De Zaal, KASK school of Arts, Ghent.
- September – November 2018, A.PASS MEETS SOL / SCHOOL OF LOVE, A.PASS BLOCK, curated by Adva Zakai (see news).
- September 2018, SWAMP PAVILION, Venice Architecture Biennale (see news).
- August 2018, Syntrofi project: an auto-ethnography served in 5 letters, master Thesis of Elli Vassalou, in collaboration with the School of Love.
- June 2018, INSTEAD OF NEEDING TO KNOW, Residency in the frame of Parallel-Parasite, A.PASS / ZSenne Art Lab, Brussels (see news)
- March 2018 , The School of 3 Legged Love, Episode 1, a research week in the Ardennes, revolving around Alevism, rituals, nature and deep hanging out (see news).
- October 2017, SUPERDEMOCRACY project, Belgian Senate
- October 2017, My Words in Your Mouth, performance by Anna Rispoli, Lotte Lindner & Till Steinbrenner, in which a character was constructed inspired by SOL, NUIT BLANCHES Brussels
- May 2017, Misssouri Super School, book publication with a contribution of SOL, ERG school of Arts, Brussels
- May – April 2017, The University of Love, workshop and performance, “What’s the matter with School” festival, Kunstencentrum BUDA, Kortrijk
- January- July 2017, Syntrofi project, research and performative Lunches, Master Project of Elli Vassalou, KASK 2017 [KASK, HOGENT, Kunstencentrum BUDA, 123 Logments] (read more)
- November 2016, A School as an Open Tool, Critical clouds / School of Love / School of Daily Revolution, KASKlezing, KASK, Gent
- November 2016, Gank invites SOL, public event about financial changes in Art education, Autonomous design department, KASK, Gent
- September 2016, the School of Love, workshop, Visual Arts department, BAC 4, Artez, Arnhem
- March 2016, Finding the School of Love, workshop, project week, Autonomous design department, KASK, Gent
SOL @Beursschouwburg We Love You Program & @Open design course for refugees and asylum seekers, KASK, Ghent A series of SOL workshops and public presentations PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS 9/11 | Saturday | Beursschouwburg | Brussels | Presentation at the Beursschouwburg Cafe | 19.00 21/11 | Thursday Designing School That Love| Presentation at Open Lab: ODC.3| Zwarte Zaal | Hour …
Inventing Schools #1 Sam Thorne, Sepake Angiama, Peggy Pierrot, The School Of Love School of Love intervention by Hazal Arda and Adva Zakai Charleroi danse / La Raffinerie 17/05 | 18:00 – 19:30 The Free School, a ten-day project dedicated within the festival to the sharing of practices, knowledge and reflections, opens with a collective …
an open conference about a practiced ecology of knowledge March 24th; 14.00 – 19.00; Unlearning Center, BlueFactory Hale Grise, Fribourg (CH) SOL intervention by Elli Vassalou and Adva Zakai The Unlearning Center invites to an open conference: a meeting for people engaged in rethinking the practice and content of learning. This meeting asks: what …
- Designing schools that love, November 2019
- School of love -WORKOUT, part of the research project by Lauren Grusenmeyer, Sint Lucas Antwerp, September 2019
- Syntofi project – an auto-ethnography served in 5 letters, KASK school of arts, August 2018
- A conversation with school of love, Parallel Parasite, June 2018
- School of 3 Legged Love, proposal for Istanbul’s 4th design Bienniale
- Presentation of SOL in the project Super-Democracy, Belgian Senate, October 2017
- The University Of Love, texts created and performed for the “What’s the matter with school” festival, BUDA art center, Kortrijk, April 2017